Quiche with a kick
1 (8- or 9-inch) Pie Shell, baked (homemade or store bought)
3 oz Ham, diced
3/4 cup Pepper Jack Cheese, grated
3/4 cup Colby Jack Cheese, grated
3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Yellow Onion, chopped
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
2 Jalapeno Peppers, seeded, finely chopped
3 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Bake pie crust according to directions. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Melt butter in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and red bell peppers until slightly tender. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Scatter the ham, cheese, onions, and peppers into the prebaked pie shell.
- Pour the custard mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake the quiche for about 30 minutes, or until it is golden brown on top and the custard is just set.
- Remove quiche from oven. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely and serve at room temperature.